Photographic Peace Quotes Calendar

Photographic Peace Quotes Calendar 2006

Monday, September 18, 2006


I see the boats under sail, feel the wind in my face, hear the splash of waves against the shore, smell seaweed floating in the water, and taste the spray on my tongue. I close my eyes and it is 1950. I've just celebrated my eighth birthday.

I am sitting on the deck of our sailboat, Harem, with my legs hanging down on either side of the bow. My bare feet are being splashed as we cut through the brackish waters of the Chesapeake Bay. Wind blows my strawberry-blond curls back from my face, and I hang on tight to the forestay as we dip and rise on the waves. I sing "You are my sunshine" at the top of my lungs confident that no one can hear my voice over the sound of the sails whipping in the wind.

Oh my. The power of five senses to carry us back in time!